Tips For Protecting Your Home
WHEN AT HOME
- When working in your yard or garage, keep all doors locked.
- When inside your house, keep your doors locked.
- Keep you blinds closed at night so intruders cannot see inside your home.
IN YOUR YARD
- Trim trees and bushes that could conceal burglars, specifically around windows and doors.
- Keep your yard maintained to give the house a lived-in appearance.
- Install additional lights to brighten dark areas around doors, windows and vehicles.
WHEN ON VACATION
- Arrange to have your mail picked up and stop delivery of newspapers/flyers.
- Have the grass cut, leaves raked, or snow removed while you are gone.
- Use timers on a few lamps in rooms where the lights will be noticed from outside your house.
- Have a neighbor check inside and outside the house every few days. Ask them to pick up delivered items.
- Set televisions or radios to play to give the impression that people are home.
IN YOUR COMMUNITY
- Get to know your neighbors and neighborhood.
- Be aware of strangers and suspicious vehicles, and look out for neighbors and their property.
- Leave keys and phone numbers with a trusted neighbor.
- Keep up appearances. A well-tended neighborhood is less attractive to criminals.
- Get involved in crime prevention programs.